Thursday, August 28, 2008

The name game

So I kept thinking about this post and just haven't gotten around to actually writing it. Then I see this morning that Steph has posted something about it , so now I have to respond. Gina and I had agreed that the name discussion would not occur until we knew the gender. However, that changed after we went over to her sister's for dinner and they started discussing baby names. And you want to know my opinion on the first real true test of parenthood, it has to be coming up with baby names. You don't want to give your child a name that will incite ridicule the rest of their lives, or something so common that they have to go by first name and last initial. So what is the happy medium in between? On top of that you have Gina's list, which has a lot of last names as first and gender ambiguous names, both of which I am against. And I don't really have a list, b/c I don't want to think about boys names if it is going to be a girl, then be upset when I fall in love with a name that we can't use. But the list I did come up with to appease Gina was no good, and of course had Cameron on it (see Steph's post if you haven't already), so nothing. I think it would be easy if we had a great family name that we knew we could use, but nothing has jumped out at this point. Pretty soon, I am just going to go buy a baby name book, put a blindfold on, and use the first name I put my finger on when I open the book. At least then when our child gets asked why we gave him/her that name, (s)he will have a good story.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

The last-name-as-first-name trend isn't so bad! I think Katerski Miller Morgan is a great gender-neutral name.